Laughter Yoga is a unique concept where anyone can laugh for no reason, without relying on humor, jokes or comedy. Laughter is simulated as an exercise in a group; with eye contact and childlike playfulness, it soon turns into real contagious laughter. The concept of Laughter Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits. By combining laughter exercises with yogic breathing (Pranayama) we intake more oxygen. More oxygen in your brain makes you feel more energetic and healthy.
Dr. Madan Kataria created Laughter Yoga in 1995 after he came across a story about Norman Cousins while doing research for an article he was writing about laughter being the best medicine. Starting with just 5 people in a park near his home in Mumbai, Laughter Yoga has grown world wide. Now there are more than 6000 laughter clubs in over 65 countries.
5 Benefits of Laughter Yoga
1. Good Mood and More Laughter: Whether it is your personal life, business life or social life everything you do depends upon your mood state. If your mood is good, you can do things much better. Laughter Yoga helps to change the mood within minutes by releasing certain chemicals from your brain cells called endorphins. You will remain cheerful and in a good mood throughout the day and will laugh more than you normally do.
2. Healthy Exercise to Beat Stress: Laughter Yoga is like an aerobic exercise (cardio workout) which brings more oxygen to the body and brain which makes one feel more healthy and energetic. Laughter Yoga is a single exercise routine which reduces physical, mental and emotional stress simultaneously.
3. Health Benefits: You can’t enjoy life if you are sick. Laughter Yoga strengthens the immune system which not only prevents you from falling sick, but also helps to heal a variety of illnesses like hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, depression, arthritis, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, backache, fibromyalgia, migraine headaches, menstrual disorders, cancer and many others.
4. Quality of Life: Quality of life depends upon quality of good friends we have with whom we have a caring and sharing relationship. Laughter is a positive energy which helps to connect with people quickly and improves relationships. If you laugh more, you will attract many friends.
5. Positive Attitude in Challenging Times : Everyone can laugh when the time is good, but how does one laugh when faced with challenges? Laughter helps to create a positive mental state to deal with negative situations and negative people. It gives hope and optimism to cope with difficult times.